Fellow of the ISTC
Member of the Quality Independent Authors Directory
Associate of the SfEP
I have completed a correspondence course in copyediting and proofreading.
I graduated in 1991 with a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering.
Chelmsford County High School for Girls
A'Levels: English, Mathematics and Physics
O'Levels: Biology, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, French, General Studies, History, Home Economics, Mathematics, Physics and Technology
I became a technical author in 1994. My first position was with Towers Perrin, working in their software department, writing documentation to accompany their specialist actuarial software. During this employment, my work included:
- Updating generic SGML files then using these to generate country-specific HTML and Word documents for distribution with the software.
- Writing a procedures manual, for the SGML editing and conversion processes.
- Writing and updating standards and procedures for writers and editors.
- Writing online help for a Windows-based program.
- Designing a Quick Reference Card.
In 2002, Towers Perrin outsourced their software development and I became a freelance technical writer, editor and proofreader.
I have subsequently worked on many projects for a wide range of companies. Further details of the freelance work I have undertaken are on the Previous projects page.
Computer skills and experience
- Word processing: Word from version 2 to 2010
- DTP: FrameMaker 7.0; Corel Ventura
- HTML and SGML: Adept Editor; FrontPage; Homesite; SGML Author for Word
- Graphics: Adobe Illustrator; Adobe PhotoShop; Corel Draw; Visio
- Help tools: Robohelp 9
- Others: Access; Acrobat; Captivate 4; Confluence; Excel; LATEX; Snagit; Subversion
I am one of three proofreaders for the ISTC’s quarterly journal, Communicator. I have also been responsible for the journal’s regular editing column since 2006.
I am a member of the ISTC’s Accreditation Panel. As a group, we assess the courses available for technical writing and decide whether they should receive accreditation from the ISTC.
I spent six years teaching the recorder at my children’s junior school, including organising concerts and other group performances.
When my children were younger, I was on the committee of the local NCT branch and edited the quarterly newsletter.
I play the clarinet in an amateur wind orchestra. The group has regular concerts throughout the year and plays at fetes and other outdoor events during the summer. I help to write and design the programmes for the formal concerts and write the copy to advertise the concerts through local publications and social media.
As well as playing an instrument, I support other local music and drama groups by attending their performances.
I enjoy reading and try to read a variety of genres from 'Whodunnits' through classics and Sci-Fi to some non-fiction.
For relaxation, I knit clothes and make greetings cards for family and friends.